This conversation happens more than it ought to at my house.
Me: J-Bear, go feed the chickens.
J-Bear: Did you get feed?
Me: Are we out of feed?
J-Bear: Oops, guess I forgot to tell you again.
With three of us pitching in to take care of them, and none of us really good at putting things on the shopping list, this has happened way more than I’d like to admit. It happened again last night. And I couldn’t possibly make it to the feed store until this afternoon.
So what’s a farm girl to do? Improvise of course!
I looked through the fridge and put together a tasty healthy breakfast for them.
- A dozen eggs that were almost a week old – I scrambled them up (Gasp! – yes, I’m aware that store bought eggs are much older – but I had fresher eggs)
Fruits and Veggies
- Some slightly wilted green leaf lettuce
- Some slightly wilted spinach
- Some fresh bell peppers (more than I needed in my Bountiful Baskets this week)
- A few soft strawberries (shh – don’t tell Mr. Fix It)
- Leftover corn
- Leftover spaghetti
That was almost a roaster full of good healthy food that I knew my family wouldn’t eat (or at least wouldn’t miss) and my chickens would love. Happy chicken tummies.
I let them out to free range the rest of the day so they could pick their own goodies, and they made it just fine until I could get to the feed store. Do you ever run out of feed? What’s your solution.