“Organic” – it’s a hot word these days. But do you know how to keep your chickens organic?
I’ll be honest, I do not keep my flock purely organic. I personally believe that the best results come from a balanced approach, and that problems come from overuse, rather than just necessary use, of chemicals, antibiotics and other medications. I believe that organic methods can be wonderful preventatives, and even treatments for problems caught early. But I also believe that if you have a serious illness or infestation in your flock, you forgo the urge to stay organic and get the chemicals or medications that really work. Here are some organic chicken keeping solutions that you can try for your flock.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Natural soap in the water
- Diatomacios Earth (food grade) in dust bath areas, sprinkled in coop and/or run
- Wood ash in dust bath areas
- Oregano Tea (brew 1TBSP in 1 c. water and run through a filter)
- Chicken Elixir
- Take 1 gallon ACV with mother, add several cloves garlic and 2 hot red peppers
- Allow to sit for 2 days
- Add 2 TBSP/gallon of water
- Elderberry Syrup
- Oregano Oil
- Chicken Elixir (see “Cocci” above for ingredients) 3 TBSP/gallon of water
- ACV with mother
ACV is claimed to prevent and fix every ill known to man or chicken. Many people add it to their chickens’ water daily (but don’t use it if your chickens are heat stressed). I don’t know if it does everything they say it does, but it shouldn’t hurt anything and it’s a relatively inexpensive addition.
Do you have any home remedies or organic solutions that you use with your chickens? I’d love to hear about them and add them to my list!
This post was linked up at: