I know that lemon poke cake recipes are all over the web – and that’s why I have waited over a year to post this one. But honestly, this is the one my family has loved since before I can remember. And it’s different from most that you see on Pinterest because there is no lemon jello or pudding. The yummy lemon flavor comes from real lemon juice – or in my case ReaLemon lemon juice. (No this is not a sponsored post. ReaLemon has no idea I’m promoting their product.)
My mom used to buy ReaLemon for this cake in those cute little lemon shaped bottles. We buy ReaLemon by the 48 oz jug, and not just one 48 oz jug, but at least four at a time. Mr. Fix It had a problem with kidney stones a few years ago, and his specialist recommended lemonade. LOTS of lemonade! Mr. Fix It hasn’t had a kidney stone since. He drinks about a quart a day. I drink some too, just because it’s yummy. So we go through a lot of ReaLemon.
Now back to that recipe. It’s really just a yummy glaze to put on a boxed lemon cake. But it makes it so good!
- 1 box Lemon Cake Mix (baked as directed)
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Butter (softened (not melted))
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- That's it. You just bake the cake.
- While the cake is baking, mix up your powdered sugar and butter then slowly add in the lemon juice until you have a nice drizzly glaze. You might like a touch more or less lemon juice to get a consistency you like, but 3 TBSP is perfect for me.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over the top with a fork and then pour on your glaze. It will melt into the cake and leave a lovely sheen on the top.
This cake is great the day you bake it, but my family likes it even better the second day. It seems to get more moist and lemony overnight.
This post was linked up at: